Tuesday, September 1, 2009

What are YOU reading?

When people find out that I’ve written a book, one of the first questions I get is about what I’m reading. So, from time to time I’ll post a list of what I’m reading and what I’ve got in the pile that’s lined up next. Some are new, some old. A lot are YA or MG books. I read what I like, and my tastes vary wildly. I also read multiple books at the same time. :-) People are always lending or giving me books, I pick a lot up in the bargain bins at various bookstores, I buy some that I know I’ll want to keep at full price, and I get the rest from the library. I’ve even got readers on my iPhone and audiobooks, but nothing beats flipping the pages…

Here’s what I’m currently reading:
  • Planet India by Mira Kamdar: I have a fascination with India and its culture. This is an interesting book about the rise of India as a global power. I just started it, but it’s very good so far.
  • Never Give Up by Joyce Meyer: I really enjoy Joyce’s books. They give me the kick in the butt that I need sometimes. This book is all about staying determined to follow your goals and dreams. She intertwines scriptural references and personal stories with profiles of great men and women in history that refused to give up despite overwhelming odds. Very inspiring.
  • The Host by Stephenie Meyer: I’m still trying to get through The Host. I’m determined. I keep putting it down so it’s going very slowly. I hear that it gets better towards the middle. One day I’ll get there.
  • How I Write by Janet Evanovich: I’m reading this very slowly and soaking in all the great tips. Janet is a writer I admire very much. Her writing is fun and so descriptive. She always conveys a lightness to her world, even in dark scenes. I’m enjoying “picking her brain” in this book.
  • The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold: When people hear that my book is told from the POV of a dead girl, they always tell me to read this book. So I finally am.

Just Finished:
  • I’d Tell You I Love You But Then I’d Have to Kill You by Ally Carter: I learned about this book several months ago on an agent blog. I thought it was a great cover and neat concept. The story is about a school for girls that is actually a school for spies. It’s a fantastic book, and I wish I had written it! I’m going to scoop up the next book in the series as soon as possible.
Some of the books coming up next:
  • The Good Guy by Dean Koontz: Love the suspense and mystery in Dean’s books. They’re a fun roller coaster ride. I’ve read most of his work, but this is one book I missed. My mom gave it to me for Christmas so it needs to be read!
  • The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton: Really liked the movie with Gillian Anderson so I scooped this up when I saw it in a bargain bin a few months ago.
  • Inkheart by Cornelia Funke: The Thief Lord is one of my all-time favorite YA books, so of course I was curious about Inkheart. Just hadn’t gotten around to it yet!
  • Oh.My.Gods. by Tera Lynn Childs: Part of a series about a normal girl who travels to an island where the kids are all descendants of Greek gods. Too cool.
  • Rampant by Diana Peterfreund: How can you not want to read a story about killer unicorns?!

    So, there you go. I’m never without a book or twenty to read ! I’d love to hear what other people are reading or want to read so comment or send me a message.

No comments:

Post a Comment